Thursday, January 25, 2018

New Painting with Photo

It seems that my phone is overwhelmed with "stuff" (probably photos), and I can't figure out how to upload those photos to my computer (possibly because after several updates my computer is quite cranky).  What I did differently today was take a photo with my camera (as opposed to my phone).  That I can still upload without any problems.

Last week I shared the beginning of a new painting.  It is a study of winter and of a nearby site to which I return time and again.  The latest trip to take photos was not successful in the way I had hoped.  Instead of direct sunshine on a winter scene, I had to accept that at this time of year, the sun won't shine where I want it to.  Really? and just who does the sun think he is?  Harrumph!

Oh well, stamping my boots didn't get me anywhere so I took photos anyway.  It's a good thing I did because I wound up with a photo that I was impelled to paint.

Here is "Zero Degrees" in its finished form:


Using a limited palette, made this a dramatic scene.  Snow covered rocks, a pool of water frozen at the edges and lightly iced over to the center, and a frozen water fall with a snow-covered, iced pond in the background.

This is one with which I am currently satisfied.

3 comments:

  1. I think it is really beautiful and definitely deserves the name "Zero Degrees." You are one very talented woman, my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect title. Reminds me of a painting I did on Yupo some years ago of trees and rocks on the Palisades in winter with the distant city across the Hudson. It now hangs in Tim's living room and I had the pleasure of seeing it yesterday.

    ReplyDelete