Monday, January 22, 2018

Michelangelo's Drawings

If you're a Facebook follower, you may have seen this photograph already.  Last Friday D and I took the train to NYC.  He had a meeting to attend, and I had a date with my sister-in-law to view the exhibit of Michelangelo's drawings at the Metropolitan Museum.  It was a fabulous time!


The drawings were amazing; that was the first thing I noticed, of course.  Anatomy almost always perfectly represented.  I would have been thrilled to have drawn one of the less than perfect ones.  Heck, I would have thrilled to have drawn one of the apprentice's drawings.

My second impression was about the paper and how valuable it was.  Pieces or mere scraps of paper both sides crowded with legs, torso, backs, arms, or feet: right-side up legs with a sideways or upside down hand or hand-written notes.  Paper was valuable - not something to waste.  

I took photos (which were, surprisingly, permitted) of the pieces that were most striking for me, but for some reason they're not uploading.  Maybe tomorrow; I am sorry!



1 comment: