Thursday, December 15, 2011

Final words on Santa's

Okay, you're all laughing so hard I can hear you loud and clear!  Now I feel I have to defend myself. 

You see, about seven years ago, we stopped putting up a regular Christmas tree.  I continued decorating the rest of the house as I usually did.  Gradually, even that diminished to decorating the downstairs only.

Can you imagine the amount of decorations I amassed over the years so I could have Christmas in every room?  Each bedroom had its own little tree (although for safety reasons those were artificial).  Windows were festooned with ribbons, hanging glass balls, glass icicles, or painted cookies.  Bathrooms had Santa's and candles.  Snowmen dotted the bookshelves, and the living room had carved wooden figures from Germany as well as a tree heavily laden with all sorts of ornaments from hand-made expressions to the old Polish or Czech ornaments.  In the dining room were ropes of beads swirled among the crystal candlesticks on the table, bowls of apples or oranges studded with cloves, and the dessert plates, bowls, platters and silverware ready for the dessert goodies.  Needless to say, Santa appeared in almost every nook and cranny!

Most of what was passed on this year were the tree ornaments.  Of course, Santa's. snowmen, figural candles, went also, but we kept the majority of the Santa's (as you could see).  If you remember, my rule was that everything that was kept had to be used or displayed.  Why else keep it?  Hence the exuberance of Santa's on the piano.

Possibly, I started this year's clutter control with that which is hardest for me to sort through.  If so, it should stand me in good stead as we tackle other areas.

Passing on clothing will be a snap after this! 

* Total number of Santa's on the piano?  Twenty-seven!!!  How did you do?   

No comments:

Post a Comment