Thursday, December 1, 2011

Moving on to Christmas

This is the year.  I have finally faced the fact that since we no longer put up a tree, it is time to go through all our tree ornaments.  Today, David brought up a box marked "good ornaments" from the basement.  "No fair," I thought.  "How am I going to be able to make a decision if these are ones we really like?"  So I told him it might take me a while to go through them let alone make any decisions.  "I know," he grinned.

Rats!

Okay, so once he'd gone off to bonsai class, I sat down with the box and started.  I had established some guidelines.  I figured I'd make a pile for Rebecca's ornaments, a pile for David's ornaments, a pile for ornaments I want, and a pile for Good Will.  Then I refined the criteria for my pile.  I could set aside any ornament I felt like saving, BUT if I can't find a way to use/display the ornament this year, it has to go.  Whew!  So I turned on the TV (distraction from pain) and opened the box.  An hour later, David's pile had maybe 6 items, Rebecca's 20 - 25, mine 15 - 20, and Good Will's was overflowing.  Wow, again!

It can't have been the box with the good ornaments.

1 comment:

  1. Today I went up into the loft in the garage to get the trinkets I have used in the past in arrangements we make every Christmas in a meeting of the Garden Club. (Tonight is the night.) I also looked at the boxes of Christmas ornaments stacked together thinking I should really thin out my collection. And there is your blog actually making progress on the thinning. (Don't let Rebecca see the Good Will pile as she'll totally break your resolve.) We still have a tree, mainly because Jason, Matt, and Bruce come Christmas Eve for celebration. I say that yet I do have trouble not having a tree. One year when Dave proposed no tree, my retort was that I was not dead yet. So the Christmas cards, baking, shopping, decorating, holiday parties continue.

    ReplyDelete