Monday, December 19, 2011

Holiday Busy-ness

It's one of those times when everyone is so busy, one doesn't think one can squeeze another task or commitment onto an overflowing calendar.  Doesn't it surprise you that we manage to do so and many times without even blinking?  Last night I found myself wondering how I ever managed to do all I did and work at the same time.  Truly, I don't think I accomplish as much now as I did then, but I certainly am as busy.  Or at least I think I am.  Let's see -

Somehow it is already December 17th, and last night for the first time I sat down and addressed Christmas cards.  Never mind the fact that I could have done it right after Thanksgiving - if I didn't have "so many other important things to do".  What were those "important things", I wonder?  I'm sure I thought they were at the time, but now? 

Yesterday I started baking Christmas and Hanukkah cookies.  These were not continuations of previous batches; these were the first.  Have I done an incredible amount of baking and cooking up till now?  Well, no.  I've made the odd meal here or there, the usual breakfasts, an occasional special lunch, and a treat (yeah, like slicing an apple?  get real!).  I can't say I've spent a tremendous amount of time in the kitchen.

How about homemade gifts.  Well, there I'm doing better.  I have two things made . . . well, almost finished.  They will be by Christmas - or at least one will be.  The other? Maybe.  The third is cut out and will probably be a birthday present instead of Christmas.

Maybe it's work that's holding me back.  Honestly?  No.  I did have to spend several days finishing a sample, but that's all.  After all, I only teach a day or two a month.

So, "What have you been doing with your time?" you ask.  I've been reading, painting, playing the piano, walking, chatting with friends (including my husband), sewing (not always Christmas related, I confess), going out, attending a wedding (now that was really special and worthy of lots of time!!!), but that's about it.  There were other odds and ends like normal housekeeping chores, too, but nothing that took more than a day.

So what has kept me from getting everything done in a more timely manner?  I'm retired.  The pressure is off.  I know that the world won't come to an end if I don't do everything I used to do.  I actually think I have a better perspective on the relative importance of things in general, but it's taken a long time to get here.

Before you agree the next time you hear someone complain about getting older, stop and think.  Every age has its benefits.  I'm still discovering the many that go with my age.  Remember your Wordsworth?  His "Ode to Immortality"?  
    
     What though the radiance that was once so bright
     Be now forever taken from my sight,
     Though nothing can bring back
     The splendor of the grass,
     The glory of the flower,
     We will grieve not, rather find
     Strength in what remains behind . . .
     . . . . .
     In years that bring the philosophic mind.
 
All of the above was written because, while I always admired these lines (forgive me for not looking them up to get them exactly right - this quote is from memory), I didn't/couldn't appreciate them as I do now.  And by today's standards, I'm not that old (just check the mean age in this week's obituaries).

Anyway, I just want all of you to take a deep breath, look at something beautiful, spend 20 minutes with your feet up and your eyes closed, and ask yourself, "Is this frenzy really worth it?  In ten years, will this all be so important?"  If your answer is, "Yes!"  then go to it, and I'll cheer you on.  However, if it's, "No" then re-evaluate what you are doing to yourself and find a way to bring calm to your life. 


1 comment:

  1. Just came back from morning yoga and an afternoon of shopping. It was the shopping that made me realize once again that it's not fun when you have a deadline. I did get a few things I wanted, but seemed to spend the greater part of the afternoon feeling overwhelmed by the futility of looking for the thing you want. It's part of the holiday busy-ness that saps ones energy and holiday spirit. Although today was one of the less successful days, I have finished all my baking, mailed Christopher's Christmas confections to arrive by Christmas, and trimmed the tree yesterday in time to celebrate fourth advent with candles and tree all aglow. I think it was the aroma of the tree and the memories associated with the ornaments that rekindled the Christmas spirit which I feared dead.

    ReplyDelete