Friday, December 9, 2011

The Hyde Collection

When you were young, did you have a favorite book?  Were there books you read that had illustrations that fired your imagination?  Did you read a comic strip that made you laugh almost every day?  Does a particular story from your childhood still surface in your memory?   I can remember hosts of books whose pages spelled magic for me and illustrators whose work was so special that I would lose myself in their art.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of going with two friends to the Hyde Collection in Glens Falls to see the exhibit Children's Book Illustration.  Although small by some standards, it was a wonderful exhibit.  We saw illustrations by Caldecott, the artist in whose name our prestigious book award for illustration is named.  Big names like Kate Greenaway, Palmer Cox (of Brownie fame), Jules Feiffer and Walt Kelly who were primarily cartoonists, Maurice Sendak of Where the Wild Things Are, and Gruelle who created Raggedy Ann and Andy.  Those are just a few (I can remember books from years ago but can't remember the names of all the artists we enjoyed yesterday - sigh!). 

The exhibit displayed the art work from early illustrators to current day.  It is amazing how printing capabilities have changed the art that is possible to have in a book.  One of the best things about yesterday's trip was being with two such knowledgeable people.  Johanna, like me, knows quite a bit about books (and their authors) for young people, and Sharon was able to explain the methods used to create the art. 


Additionally, this exhibit was organized by the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco, CA (so there's another place to put on your worthy-of-a-visit places).   The Hyde has the Cartoon Museum's absolutely wonderful pamphlet/worksheet booklet for children that Johanna and I thought was superb.  It contains explanations as well as questions with space to write an answer in a beautifully designed and illustrated, color brochure.  Take your grandchildren and have fun! 

We had enough time to stroll through and enjoy the first floor of the Hyde House (incredible art - Tintoretto, Ingres, early illustrated books) before we had to leave. You'll be amazed to know we didn't even spend any money in the gift shop, and my favorite stores are museum gift shops!

1 comment:

  1. My most memorable times with picture books are associated with Justine. As part of my work as a staff developer, I attended lectures given by authors of children's books and also had the opportunity to go to Teachers College where a wonderful speaker would share with us the most recent publications of exemplary literature for children. Justine who to this day has an infatuation with books that would rival yours was so eager to have me read to her from these books when I went to California. I have a number of stories about the books we shared, but one stands out. I bought her a paper back copy of Ezra Jacks Keats book Maggie and the Pirate when she was four. We were riding in the car, and I decided it was a good time to try the book even though I believed it would be too complex for her. Well, I read it and read it over and over again before we arrived home. A few weeks later Carrie told me that she saw that Justine had defaced the book by scribbling over Maggie's eyes on one of the pages. When she asked her why she did that, Justine said she felt so bad when Maggie was alone looking out into the dark. Carrie and I were so amazed about the impact of the book. For her 21st birthday I tried to get a signed edition of the book, but it was no longer in print. I did find a first edition of the book in pristine condition and gave it to her. She loved it.

    ReplyDelete