Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Another Day with the Boathouse

Great day at the studio today!  We celebrated both the holidays and our friendship as you will see in the photos.  But we did not forget why we were there and after some refreshments, wonderful tea, and laughter, we each got back to our work.  Here's the wonder of this studio, Johanna is working with watercolor, Arlene is sketching in pencil, Lena is working in pastels, and I am dabbling in oils.  We admire, encourage, and envy the work each other does, but we each grow in our own way at our own pace.  It's a very supportive group and Sharon is a joy as a teacher.

Arlene, Johanna, Lena, and Moi

Sharon in the front
 
Today I worked on some of the things I talked about last week.  The color of the rocks closest to the boathouse now reflect "atmospheric perspective" (simply put their colors are more subdued because they are farther away from the rocks in the immediate foreground).  The evergreen behind the boathouse is less garish though still not finished, and the ramp from the boathouse to the water is not only nearly done, but its reflection is in the water.  And that's the funny part - that reflection seems to hang there in the lake attached to nothing.  When the reflection of the boathouse becomes more substantial, all will be well.  I hope.  You may remember that the original reflection of the B'house was originally merely sketched in to "hold its place" in the painting. 

 
To me, adding that ramp really did the job of tying the composition together as a whole.  Still quite a bit to work on, but once the holiday sewing is over (and the holidays, too!) progress should pick up. 
 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a really great group of women. And I really love the boathouse. Didn't realize it was that large! I can hardly wait to see it finished!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep making this keep unread because I wanted to comment and then as usual loose track of the time...
    the beginning of this painting is amazing, and now I see where it is almost done (and I love it!). You are quite the talent my friend, but then you also have a very talented teacher. You've talked about this class and raved about your painting instructor....and who knew!! It's Sharon! We've known each other for years- she is a neighborhood gal and kids attended the same elementary school! Small world, no??

    ReplyDelete