Sunday, December 16, 2012

What Can WE Do?

That's a question many of us have been asking after the horrific events of the past several days.  I certainly don't have any super answers.  But I can tell you what I've done.  I've signed petitions to urge our government to forget about politics long enough to pass some reasonable gun control bill that would include background checks.  With that, I urge them to make a commitment to help the mentally ill.  We have to do both. 
 
One of our local quilt shops is calling for pillowcases for the students who survived.  I have made a promise to myself to make as many as I can.
 
Also, I have promised myself that as opportunities arrive to help in some way, I will take advantage of them.  Some of the things I do may seem insignificant, but I don't believe they are.  Those little ones and the adults around them who survived need all kinds of different support, and while I can't reach out to give them hugs and whispers of reassurance, I can make one tiny bright spot in their week or month. 
 
And it makes me feel better, less powerless.  We all feel the need to do something, and I suggest that we all find some way we can contribute.
 
Don't forget that keeping busy helps.  I have spent today working on gifts, finding fabrics suitable for pillowcases, baking for an up-coming holiday celebration, and spending time with my family.  Life goes on, and that's one thing that will be hard for some to deal with.  Keeping busy helps.
 
Finally, I was lucky beyond measure that our daughter and grandson drove in on Saturday to spend the day.  We were able to hug our loved ones, and believe me, we took advantage of that.
 
Share with us what you are doing.  Have you heard of things being done with which others can help?  Share that information.  Send me a note, and I'll pass the information along as best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment