Monday, December 10, 2012

Grandson as Artist

Aren't the drawings of young children wonderful expressions of freedom.  Most of the time, I am lucky enough to be asked to admire drawings by children who aren't shy, who haven't been taught the "correct" colors of things, who don't care about perspective, and who draw simply because it's fun.  And their art is spontaneous with no thought of composition or all the other things so many of us think about the moment we take up our "art tools."
 
Here is a work of art done by our eight-year-old grandson, and I am so impressed!  Until recently, the only things he was interested in drawing were either flamingos or turtles.  He worked quite hard at this until something better came along, and he was tired of coloring-in the shirt anyway.


It is a portrait of me, and I am delighted with it.  I love the smile he gave me and adore my ears!  Very seriously he told me that he had some difficulty with my nose.  I told him I have trouble with it, too, especially when it runs!
 
I plan to take it back to him at Christmas time and request his signature.  One thing I will teach him is that every artist should sign her/his work!

2 comments:

  1. yup - very important that he sign and date his work. I must say, I see touches of you in it. Enjoy cause it's a very precious thing to have!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love this. Your portrait is absolutely priceless!! Do have him sign it. You will treasure it for years to come. I have a framed finger painting done by my very own talented family artist, and he takes great pleasure pointing it our (it graces my fireplace mantle along with a a framed wool cardinal and a P.Buckley Moss print I rec'd as a gift quite some time ago) each and every time he visits. Needless to say, this little masterpiece is my favorite piece of art, and once my artist learns to print his own name, I too shall have ask to have my painting signed!

    ReplyDelete