Thursday, December 13, 2012

Boathouse - Day 5

Part of me feels I should stop writing until after the holidays because I cannot post photos of my activities, yet.  My sewing machine has been whirring busily away, and after the gift exchanges are over, I will share the results of my work.
 
In the mean time, you will be subjected to whatever floats through my mind - as you've probably already noticed.  But today I do have this week's work on the Boathouse to show you.  It's amazing how little I seem to have painted in my two hours in the studio!


I just checked and this is the fifth day of painting for this work.  That's not a lot, it's just that it has taken longer by calendar than my usual paintings.  Well, it's a busy time of year.
 
So here's what I've done and decided.  I finally started back on the trees which my hand has been itching to do for some time now.  The background trees are quite sketchy, but at least you can see where they will be (if you click on the photo to enlarge it).  The birch in the front of the boathouse is on its way.  The dark brown "outlines" on either side of the trunk will be softened slightly and the upper portion is not even worth mentioning.  There is an evergreen above and behind the roof though the color is in transition. 
 
As I was painting, I realized that I really don't want it to be dawn because as my brother pointed out that would change the shape of all my shadows.  They would be pulled on the diagonal to the lower right which the composition most definitely can not  handle!  So I'm back to my non-specific time, maybe morning, sun not visible but shadows indicating where it might be.  Whew!  The colors of the rocks nearest the boathouse on the far right need to be muted, and I haven't gotten back to the wooden ramp from the boathouse to the water.  And there will be leaves, of course . . .   the distant shore . . .  
 
Much yet to do, and more paintings crowding my head asking to be let out onto canvas!

1 comment:

  1. I think it's coming along beautifully. It's fun for me to watch the progress. And there's no deadline, so take as much time as the painting needs.

    ReplyDelete