Monday, December 3, 2012

My Holiday Frenzy - Again!

I'm back into my state of feeling completely overwhelmed by the amount of work I need to complete before the holidays.  It seems that no sooner do I start to get a rhythm going than something unexpected comes along to shut down that music entirely.  Tonight I almost fretted myself into a real state.
 
Before I could completely hyperventilate, though, I got out my calendar, crossed a few things off, made a phone call, and sent an e-mail.  I've also decided, that no matter how enticing invitations might seem, I will not accept any until a certain amount of work is done.  After all, if all the bindings (today I discovered that the bindings for the fairy quilts are too short and had to cut two more lengths - thanks to the goddess of math-challenged quilters I have enough fabric!) and labels aren't sewn on none of them can be mailed.  I'd hate to have one part of the family feel overlooked! 
 
Another thing I will do is ask D to help out by fielding phone calls from charities asking for help and by trying to keep all similar interruptions to a minimum.  He's good at that since he knows how those same calls disrupt his work flow.
 
And here's the frustrating thing - I've enjoyed every one of both the unscheduled and scheduled side steps I've taken!  You know, it just comes down to that age old question:  Why can't I do everything? 
 

3 comments:

  1. Noel, rest assured that the recipients of your quilts will not suffer because your quilt has not arrived on your self-imposed deadline. Accept those invitation if they bring you pleasure. Relax into the rhythm of the holidays. Cut yourself some slack. It's o.k. not to do everything you think you should be doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dearest Noel,
    Don't you know by now silly girl your presence is a gift to all who share time with you. The way you are thoughtful of what you give to your "people" is gift enough. Give all up to the powers to be and let your heart be free of the heaviness felt from overloading. Those who love know that time waits for no one, yet you are always there at the right time. If we followed our beliefs, holiday is everyday. So no matter when you share your gifts, you always make someone smile. You gift, you must always remember, is that your heart belongs to everyone. Peace my beautiful friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I couldn't have said it any better than Mardi did. As kids it seems that it was all about presents. But as adults we know it's all about presence. Your presence is gift enough and so is your friendship.

    Enjoy the holidays and if something is later than you wanted - oh, well.....cie la vie (and I'm not sure I spelled that right - so much for the two years of French in high school !!)

    ReplyDelete