Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Construction: Unexpected Consequences

Sorry about yesterday.  No good reason for not writing; the time simply got away from me.  Today was a beautiful day which continues to make working outdoors possible for our construction crew.  As a result, a new roof went on the family room so I think they will be able to get back to the siding tomorrow.  And the electrician made me a very happy woman by mounting the new outdoor light by our front door.  I didn't take a photo because I wanted to wait until he had the light on the garage, also.  Too bad he won't be working tomorrow; had I known I wouldn't have waited.  Oh well.

But today we were hit by another one of those "unexpected consequences" of construction.  I mentioned that we had to move all furniture away from the windows, but I didn't talk about have to take things off shelves. There's a very real danger of them falling off due to the vibrations of the men hammering.  Talk about trying to find safe places to put things!

What we decided was to continue with our usual rotation of "collections" by putting the things we'd taken down away.  Fortunately, we have been thinning and getting rid of collections, but one of them hasn't been touched.  One of our first collections (and the only one on which we spent money in the lean first years of marriage) was kerosene lamps.  I've always loved glass, antique kerosene lamps were inexpensive at the time, and they appealed to both of us.  Until recently I'd managed to clean things that were out on shelves with a certain amount of regularity, but with retirement and the time to spend on painting and quilting, dusting simply hasn't been a priority.  Boy, were those kerosene lamps covered with dust  (and construction was only partly to blame).


Even I couldn't bear the thought of packing dirty kerosene lamps so here they are - drying on the kitchen table unexpectedly clean. 

2 comments:

  1. I didn't realize you had so many kerosene lamps. It must feel good to have them all clean.

    In another month just maybe this will be a memory and the house will be back to normal - maybe!!

    Meanwhile, it's going to be another great day for the men to work outside and finish all that up - then start on the windows and frames! Oh, and paint would be a good thing, too!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. on second look - I see you taking photos !!!!

    ReplyDelete