Thursday, September 5, 2013

Shingles for the Roof

As tonight is the first meeting of one of the local quilt guilds and since I plan to attend, I am writing my blog early, and it will probably be shorter than I would like.  

Today the shingles arrived, and I had more darn fun admiring the trucks that haul building supplies and the incredible ability of their drivers to maneuver the loads.   These pictures are taken quickly and haven't been edited, so you will have to excuse their rough appearance.  

The driver had to move the lift mechanism from the load on the back to the one which was ours,  He made it seem easy.



 The first load went to the lower level of our roof.  This is the projection over the garage.


The second delivery went to the roof of the studio -


and the third one went to the main roof.  Again the driver surprised me.  In the photograph you can see the branches of one of our oak trees.  Much to my amazement, the driver would not extend the load any farther than you can see in the next picture.  He did not want to tear off the tree limb!  Nor did I, but I didn't have to say a thing.


The last picture show just how high they are and how sorry our poor house looks at this point.  It doesn't bother me; I keep looking at my studio and grin to beat the band.


Amusingly enough, one of the workers came to the back door this morning to tell me I might want to get my camera out because they had just laid down the first two rows of the under-shingle layer (don't you just love my familiarity with construction vocabulary?).  I did so, but the height and pitch of the roof didn't make for a clear view.  Doesn't matter.  They're enjoying my desire to chronicle every day's activities instead of finding me a botheration.

1 comment:

  1. Skilled people can be very amazing to watch! And I do love your red roof! I wouldn't mind how the house looks during construction. Just think of how amazing it's going to look when the workers have gone home - and how that room is going to be a joyful place for a long, long, long time. After all, I know you have a ton of fabric, acrylics, and watercolors. Now to have plenty of canvas and paper!!

    ReplyDelete