Sunday, September 15, 2013

Quilt Camp September 2013

Yes, the computer is back, and I do have a lot of photographs of construction, but those will come after this photo-journal report on the latest Quilt Camp at Joyful Quilter (and if you're a quilter and you've never been to a quilt camp, I strongly suggest you consider it!).  The reason for these entries (as there will be more than one) is to showcase the work of some of our local, dedicated artists.  And in case you've never read this blog before, I use initials not the names of the quilters.  If they wish to draw your attention to their work, they can, but I want to protect their privacy.

The first quilter represented did give me permission to use her name, and many of you know her.  This is the first quilt Laura worked on during our weekend stay.  It is a beauty that is familiar to several quilters out there, I know, as it is a popular one.  This is an especially good treatment of a traditional updated pattern and fabric selection.  Clearly Laura's work is excellent!  


Now this next quilt is different as is it in its very early stages of construction and in its very different style.  This is the work of a good friend, S, a member of the Island Sewvivors (a group of us who are usually in the same room during Quilt Camp), and you will see more of it as it progresses toward completion.  Unfortunately, I didn't write down pattern names so I can't share that with you for either Laura's or this one.  S told me this is a quilt from her UFO pile and has been promised to her husband.


Next is a child's quilt made by D as a quilt guild project.  It is destined to be a gift for a child, and D quilted it herself.  That was a first for her, and she is proud of her accomplishment as well she should be.  Oh, not only is it her first quilting attempt, she did it using a machine that is new to her.  Now that shows what my mother would call "intestinal fortitude".  Wait until you see the other pieces D made this weekend!


D's sister K showed up Saturday with the most amazing Block of the Month project I've seen in a long time.  This is a 9+" block that has close to 60 pieces (can anyone say, "Similar to Farmer's Wife blocks"? . . .    shudder).  Now for this quilt I can show you the pattern, and I will when I show some of the other blocks she has completed in this project.  Be ready for it - more "Intestinal Fortitude". 


That's where I'll stop for today, but as I've done before, throughout the week I'll be writing more about the work accomplished by some wonderful women this past weekend.  

I may even throw in a construction photo or two.  Oops, there's one now -


This is one of the three large windows that these three men hoisted up to the second story and through the window opening behind them into my studio.  Talk about heavy - whew!

2 comments:

  1. Holy Window, Batman!! So much light....so excited for you.
    And...now it is official. I MUST sign on for a quilt camp in the very near future! Love Laura's project...and that BOM?? Do I really need to know more...
    I must be brave...I must endure...I will not get side-tracked!
    Glad the computer is up and running again so we can see what you are up to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quilt Camp was a whole lot of fun!! I love Laura's quilt and hope to make one for ME soon. And D did such a great job. That quilt is larger than anything I've machine quilted !! I know how the window looks in your house and it's fabulous!! Just think, before Christmas you'll be all settled in there!! And you'll be able to see to paint and sew!! Bet you might even sit and read a book occasionally when D isn't home!

    ReplyDelete