Thursday, December 19, 2013

Craft Store or Best Friend?

Despite succumbing now and then to the desire to do things that aren't on my list, I have been able to continue working on the G'son's quilt.  Thanks to ME.  

I was having difficulties with the thread I was using to applique (blanket stitch) the elements in the medallion to their background.  The only green thread I had that was the correct color for the turtle shells was a heavy machine-quilting thread, and my sewing machine was beginning to act like a cat with a hair ball.  Yes, I had the same thread in the bobbin, yes, I had just cleaned my machine, and yes, my needle was new for this project.  I figured that I needed either a lighter-weight thread or a quilting needle - neither of which I had.

But who wants to go to JoAnn's the week before Christmas?  Who even thinks JoAnn's would have either of the items I needed much less both?  Any hands raised?  Of course not!  So who're you gonna call?  No, Ghost Busters won't help though given the way my machine was behaving, it might not have been a bad idea.

I called my best friend ME, the self-styled "Queen of Thread".  The next time you hear her called that, Ladies, giggle no longer.  Raise your eyebrows at your peril.  For she is the one and the only QUEEN of Thread.  That lady has every thread known to mankind and much that is not.  She has cones of thread, spools of thread, bobbins of thread.  She has every color on Munsell's color wheel and some he never thought of.  You worry about thread weight?  ME can help you.  I was so overwhelmed I bowed my head in wonder and awe.  

Then she took out her organizer for sewing machine needles.  Nota bene, she has a section for each kind of sewing machine needle and multiples in each section.  Need I say more?

My sewing went like a dream today.  Thread in the correct weight and color and a new needle just in case.

JoAnn's you've met your match and then some.  Cry your eyes out!

3 comments:

  1. Noel: You are indeed lucky to have a friend who not only has everything "needle and thread" wise, but can put her hands on it. You owe her big time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always happy to help a very BFF. When I see thread, I don't really know what color I want most of the time, so I just get them all. Problem solved!

    Est -- I love Noel's paintings - especially the fall one she did this year. I'm really just adding brownie points so that she comes to agree with me that my house NEEDS that painting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG!! If I didn't love this post so much, I'd be laughing my head off...but I've been in ME's sewing room lol. Hurray for friends who make it NOT possible to have to go to JAF the week before Christmas- a thought that makes me think I'd have to shoot myself! Hurray for being able to do those gorgeous turtles justice. Grandson is going to love his quilt. A lot. I just know it. How? Because I love it. A lot. (smile). Hope the construction cones goes over just as well with mine....Merry Christmas my friend!! Happy sewing. (and I'll see you in a few hours---insert happy face here---)

    ReplyDelete