Monday, December 16, 2013

More Sketches

Today was busy with errands and baking (2 kinds of biscotti) for our holiday tea during tomorrow's studio class.  And that reminds me: is anyone else confused about tomorrow's predicted weather?  I've heard we're getting more snow (3 - 4") in the morning getting heavier closer to noon, or frigid cold, or neither.  ???  Guess I'll have to wait.

Anyway, since there should be class tomorrow, I did do some more sketches for Raking the Hay.  First I'll show you the first one I did using all kinds of different pencils in a very fast and loose manner to get the "feel" of this scene:


I did some research on mechanized hay rakes to find out what they really look like since my photo wasn't a close-up.  Today once I thought I understood the machine, I drew this one:


Funny, I spent more time and effort on the farmer than on the rake.  I want to keep this part simple but accurate so I'll have to see what the class says.  I think I need to add to the rake to show how it is attached to the tractor.  We'll see what everyone says.

Then I decided to work on a slightly more detail sketch of the background (the lake) and add some structures and even hint at some boats.


It's difficult to see, but it will make more sense, I hope, as you see the painting develop and are able to see what I put in and what I omit.




1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to seeing this painting progress. Looks like you have a good start on it. Enjoy the process!

    ReplyDelete