Monday, December 2, 2013

The Doldrums

After quite a bit of upheaval followed by a major holiday, I find that I am mentally aimless and suffering from an attack of the doldrums.  Yesterday I spent the day cleaning out-of-the-way cupboards and making piles of things I found.  Then of course I had to put the items that were finally considered worthy of keeping neatly away.  That used up a goodly portion of time that should have been spent elsewhere.

Today the morning was spent running errands that needed to be done but were actually another avoidance device.  Then there were things like laundry (there seems to be quite a lot of that lately), but finally I hauled myself up to my studio by the seat of my britches (hard to do by oneself, you know) where I spent time rearranging blocks that had already been arranged.  Sigh.  Sewing finally did take place, and it is possible I have actually broken the barrier.  Maybe.  We will see if tomorrow, when I return from painting, I have enough force of mind to get-to-the-Christmas-sewing-for-goodness-sake!

Mind you, this entry is being written after gathering my materials for tomorrow's painting, drawing, looking at photos, staring off into space exercise.  Having finished two subjects in watercolors, I find myself not quite up to starting another challenging piece (the one I mentioned some time ago - a Vermont country store).  I feel that I don't have the energy.  Or is it merely that I lack the intestinal fortitude to tackle something that is difficult? 

Or is it simply that I am tired?

Don't mind me.  Here is a photo of my cornucopia (maybe that will brighten my spirits).  I didn't have the usual vegetable/fruits for display so I gathered some of my red and white linens.


And here is a photo of an apple pie baked in a paper bag (the remnants of which you can see beneath it).  It was by far the best pie I've ever made, positively delicious, and I do say so myself.  That's not saying a great deal because we are not a pie eating family so my experience has been minimal.  However, if you're curious about the recipe, go to the King Arthur's Flour site and enter "paper bag apple pie".  You should be able to find it.  If not, let me know, and I'll check for the exact search term.

:
Wish a newly energized brain for me and an escape from the Doldrums, okay?


3 comments:

  1. I've been stuck in that spot for a while now. Just can't seem to build up excitement for Christmas or much else right now. Maybe it's tired. Maybe we just need to go to a warm climate and sit on the beach for a week. Wouldn't that be fun?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This has been an unusual Thanksgiving for me. I did not crash before dessert was served, I stayed up with Dave long after others went to bed, and we had our first Thanksgiving sleep over. Our youngest grandsons requested the honor, and we had a blast when all five family members crashed here after the big feast. Since our responsibility for the three little ones was just to enjoy them, we did exactly that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I can smell that pie from here. Good thing I can only smell it 'cause with a quart of cold milk I could eat half of it at one sitting. As for the doldrums (another great word), jump into the season with the Christmas Can Can: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-47VmFopE

    ReplyDelete