Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Progress!

Yes, today was a day of progress and a return of previously marked "Absent" brain cells!  I feel like myself, and that too is a relief.  

We did a lot of talking during the studio class, but amazingly enough, we still managed to get some work accomplished.  As I had decided to set aside the Country Store painting that will require more time than I can give it right now, I had to go through photographs and find something else to work on.  At first I just wanted to draw without thinking about the sketch as a study for a painting, but  . . .  Now that I've started the drawing, I find myself thinking about it in terms of the painting that might follow.  It started when my teacher said something about thinking about values for the watercolor.  I thought to myself, "Watercolor????????  No way, this is an oil painting!"  Funny how I am so sure of that.  Anyway, I decided that I should probably try a landscape of this type in watercolors and see what happens.  An oil painting could always come later.  

However, before I go any further, I will share with you the rough beginnings.  Today I experimented with pencils - H and B types of lead, square 2" pieces of four-sided graphite, special drawing pencils with very soft lead (Ebony is the name of them - wonderful things!), and other pencils with broad ½" wide lead.  That was a good lesson in itself.  


At the moment this title is "Raking the Hay", and there's a funny side to that.  This is a view from way up a mountain across the lake from the side where we now stay.  I've drawn from this particular spot before but never with a farmer in the scene.  As I was drawing, I just knew I would have to do some research because I was having difficulty with the machine on the back of the tractor.  I couldn't see it well enough in my photograph and didn't even understand what the farmer was doing.  

When Sharon told me not to worry because I didn't have to include it, I was amazed and told her the tractor and whatever what the reason for drawing this particular view (I really love machinery!).  She said okay, but I might have trouble with this part.  "Don't worry," I said, "D will know what it is and what the farmer is doing with it, and then I'll be able to find the machine on line."  

He did, and I did, and now the title pays tribute to the farmer who is using a "mechanized hay rake" to rake the hay into rows.  

D to my rescue once more!

2 comments:

  1. So it was a hay rake?!! Good thing that D grew up in an area where he would learn that. Bet he never knew he's need that piece of info that the stored in his mind! So, I'm taking it that artists do not draw with the standard #2 pencil. Hum....... hope you enjoy this one a lot! Oh, and I do love your new backdrop - although it kind of looks like there might be snow involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you decided to do the cut hay with the farmer and the hay rake. I do remember just loving those golden grasses lining the fields. Including the farmer and his machine is a wonderful touch.

    ReplyDelete