Monday, May 18, 2015

First Watercolor Study of Stourhead

This morning there were more plants to get in the ground than I realized, and some that I thought weren't going to be planted yet but were included because I just changed my mind.  That lovely rose and fourteen others were planted, and I feel a great sense of satisfaction.  Completed a task feels good.

What makes me even more pleased with my day is that I also managed to prepare for tomorrow's painting class. That entailed tracing the Outbuilding drawing on to watercolor paper.  Not an exciting task - especially when I thought I hadn't placed the building where I wanted it on the paper, but that turned out not to be the case much to my relief.  What pleased me the most was having the time to set up and do a preliminary wash study.

Before starting this study, I quickly sketched an approximation of this building on two other pieces of paper.  Then I decided just to start a study without a preliminary sketch reasoning that I needed to figure out how to lay down the colors and also what colors I might want to use.  When I mistakenly dipped my brush into a dark red, I decided to go ahead and try it.  As I thought and you can see on the right hand side of the building, it made the shadow too warm.  

I have to do more studies, but at least this is a start.


  1. You set such a good example by all your trial runs. My colors have been getting a bit muddy and I'm having trouble getting the punch I want. I seem to spend more time planning the composition than thinking about the paints I will use. I hope I can follow through next time with more preliminary painting using your work habits to motivate me.

  2. I think it's going to be beautiful. I do love your colors!