Thursday, August 11, 2016

August Flowers

What a muggy, hot day it was today, and I guess we are in for some more.  That's August for you, I guess. 

It's later than it should be so I'll only take the time to show you a couple of pictures from the garden.  Now remember, I've mentioned that the garden really hasn't been tended this year due to all the construction with men and machine traipsing all over the backyard.  It's not all their fault, of course.  The work did keep us busy, too.

Anyway, now that the season is farther along and since we're finally getting some rain, we do have a few flowers poking up.  But the first to share with you is a house plant that is doing remarkably well in its summer residence.  The stephanotis is huge and is sending new runners out all over the place.  It hasn't looked this healthy in a while. 


To prove how well its doing, there are two clusters of buds (one on the left and another on the right) on their way to popping open.  It's the first time it's bloomed in years!  I've looked to see if I can find more, but it's hard to see in among all those leaves.  Since it is touch-sensitive, I don't want to go digging around in the foliage.  Guess we'll have to wait and see.



Our new delphinium was doing very well until the heavy rains hit; I hope it was the rain and not one of the rabbits.  Anyway, it was fortunate enough to have a friend nearby to lean on.  I should have staked it but forgot.


The last picture is one of my favorite flowers.  Of course, I can't remember its name right now, but it's very tall and looks like a rudbeckia.  It is way back almost among the lilacs that are the back border of our garden.  The color of the flower is like a bright light in a shaded place.  Its very pretty leaves (that don't show in this picture) are very dark green - all of which make the blossoms appear to float in the air..



I hope your garden is giving you pleasure, too!

1 comment:

  1. Your plants are loving you - or at least some of them. Yes, it's muggy and miserable outside. But before you know it we will have very cold weather and we'll wish we had some of this heat - or at least I will wish for a bit of heat. You'll have to post of photo of your plant when it blooms!!

    ReplyDelete