Monday, November 13, 2017

Musings on Daily Chores

There is something to be said for being predictable.  It's lovely to get up in the morning and have no problem getting about the business of the day because it's what one always does on a Monday.  There's no dithering, no hemming or hawing, no "shall I sew, embroider, knit, or paint?"  One's day is laid out like a very precise road map.

Therefore, you all know exactly what I did today.

Laundry.

But wait!  I did add some other "chores", too.  Halloween decorations, already half down and sitting on the dining room table, were all taken down, packed in their bin, and put into storage.  Having done that (playing with a bin), we decided it would be a good time to bring home some more fabric bins for me to sort through.  They are now in the dining room.  See the logic?  Since Halloween decorations are gone, they should be replaced with another "something" to be sorted.  

Whew!  Who knew "keeping house" was so intensely regimented - replace a chore once finished with another?

I won't go on with this report of my day as it is very much like yours, I'm sure.  I was simply (and I hope, momentarily!) bemused by the way we create the logic or a map of what might ordinarily be seen as a simple progression (moving smoothly from one predetermined chore to another also predetermined chore) through our daily housekeeping.

Sort of like this entry.  When I started writing this, I had no idea where the initial faint spark of an idea might take me.  Did you enjoy the trip?  Recognize any street signs as you read?

Basically, I think our brains take us for a a ride!

1 comment:

  1. I think having a pre-planned daily chore for a day is the way to go. Without plans I get confused and waste a lot of time trying to figure out the best map for my day! Great to get those mundane chores done for another week!

    ReplyDelete