Monday, August 22, 2011

Basic Black

Last night I decided to give myself a break from sewing by starting a knitting project.  The first year of retirement I finished an off white Aran cardigan that had been languishing on my "to do" pile for longer than I'm willing to admit.  That sweater saw a lot of wear so I decided last year to make myself a basic black wool sweater so I'd have two basic colors covered. 

Off I went to my local yarn shop to hunt for a pattern and find the yarn.  I should have known better.  The first thing that caught my eye was a gorgeous knitted lavender jacket with waterlilies on the back.  Some of my favorite colors, flowers, and style all in one.  Naturally I had to purchase the pattern and equally naturally I had to purchase the yarn to make it but not in the colors shown.  After those purchases I walked out of the shop with what is now laughingly referred to as my "basic black sweater".

Here's a photo of the yarns I'm using:

"Basic Black" yarn

Oh, in case you're wondering why the orange and greens are in with the peacock blue, I decided that I'd knit a bird of paradise flower instead of a water lily.  The greens are for the leaves and the oranges are my start at the flower (more colors to be added, of course). 

Last night I finished the lower band of the back and today I must knit the cord that separates the lower band from the back with its floral design.  Guess that means that I'd better get busy at charting out the bird of paradise flower!

Wishing you a day of happy creativity!

1 comment:

  1. and this is a surprise how?? You were never a "basic black" kind of gal- no matter what you do!
    I bet this is going to be stunning. Can't wait to see the final result in the near future.

    ReplyDelete