Wednesday, August 24, 2011

From Rock into Fabric?


Just look at the colors in the rocks in this photo!  After this contest is over and I have time to do it, I want to make the wall hanging that I designed when we returned from our trip to the Southwest.  We visited Mesa Verde, Canyon de Chelly, and Monument Valley.  The landscapes were so different from anything we have here in the Northeast, and they were beautiful is a way that was new to me.  I knew I would have to try to capture that in fabric.

Under my bed I have a storage bin with fat quarters in oranges, purples, greens, and blues as well as others.  This is a palatte I haven't used before, and I am itching to see if I can make my "Canyon Country" come alive.

These photos of the rocks in Canyon de Chelly may give you an idea of why I was so fascinated.  Just look at the colors, layers, shapes, and the way the rock seems to have flowed into place.  Amazing, isn't it!  This first one is a close up of the layers that were formed; some were laid down in horizontal bands while close to the top of the photo you can see the layers sliding up into a diagonal strip.  The second photo looks like the profile of someone in a strong wind peering out from beneath a wizard's hat!   The third one reminds me of playing with mud as a child.  Doesn't it look as though someone has swirled it around into mud pies?  And this last one is another close up.  I stood beside the wall of rock and took the photo. 
 
Photos of rock.  And I want to protray it in fabric; now there's a challenge! 

1 comment:

  1. There are days I think you missed your calling to be a professional phototgrapher. These are amazing photos. Most people would just put them in an album (like me for example) and fondly go back to them from time to time. You? Memories in cloth. I know I shouldn't ever be amazed at what you create but I still am after "all these years"!

    ReplyDelete