Thursday, August 4, 2011

My Family, My Support

David

Today I want to spend some time telling you about my family.  The gentleman at the left is my husband David, and he is a wonderful man.  Imagine putting up with someone who spends at least eight hours a day breathing, thinking, doing - quilting!  David has to tolerate that, and he does so cheerfully. He has even said, "I'm so glad you're doing this!"   Making dinner, doing the shopping, and doing everything he can to clear the way for me to spend those hours at this project is how he has helped me.  Oh, I'd better not leave out the fact that he listens, really listens, to me, too - all those moans, whimpers, and whines, whew!  How could I do all this if he weren't the loving man he is?

Rebecca
Rebecca, my darling daughter, is another major supporter.   Mind you, Rebecca does not sew and has absolutely no interest in ever picking up a needle, but she does appreciate what I do.  In every phone call she asks how the project is going and listens to my answer.  She knows to ask what I think or how I feel about my progress (or lack thereof).  If I mention that I'm not sure or I don't like it or I think it won't be successful, she quickly steps in and reassures me.  It isn't the "boiler-plate" reassurance, "it'll be okay, mom."  She knows me well and addresses my basic insecurities by reminding me what I've done in the past and how I always say the same things.  Yeah, I guess I'm really predictable, but this lovely woman, my daughter, nips that in the bud.  She has also galvanized a band of friends and co-workers (thanks to all of you!) to vote for me.  Isn't she priceless?
Alice

This is Alice, David's younger sister, and another ardent supporter.  Let me tell you a little about her.  Alice is a veterinarian who works at UConn and therefore lives close enough to visit.  She and I have a lot in common and over the years have become friends.  We've had fun going to Rhinebeck to the Sheep and Wool Festival where we've purchased yarn for our knitting projects, checked out the sheep (Alice teaches me a lot about which sheep or other animals provide which kind of yarn), had lunch, and just had a good time together.  By the way, Alice is a true knitting expert.  Her work is amazing!  Anyway, on a recent visit, we wandered into a local quilt shop (okay, so I led the way), and before I knew it, Alice found the clerk in charge, whipped out her phone and showed the woman a photo of "Miss Ruby Takes a Walk"!  She then proceeded to tell her all about the contest and told her that she should vote for me.  Wow!  Later, Alice and I had a serious talk about how I should be marketing myself, and she gave me lots of good tips.  How's that for a super supportive sister-in-law?

These are specifics about three members of my family, but all of my extended family have supported me with notes of encouragement, their votes, and their comments throughout this contest.  I am so lucky to have all of you; hugs and kisses to you all!

 





1 comment:

  1. Every quilter should have a supportive family. That yours is behind you 1,000 percent is wonderful. I knew there was a good reason for liking David so much :-)
    As for our children- isn't it the best when even the most sewing phobic child can be such a staunch supporter.
    Loved putting a face to Alice!

    ReplyDelete