Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Boathouse Painting Day 2

Great day today.  Not only did I have painting class but I also was able to help D rake the back yard.  We didn't finish that task, but half the yard is finished.  Now we only have the other half and the gardens.  Only!
 
Today at painting I worked on a pen and ink which was not successful.  At least I know what went wrong so I can start over again with the thought that I'll be able to get it right.  Not only that, I know and understand why it went wrong so I can avoid that particular problem in the future.  Maybe.
 
Then I turned to the Boathouse painting.  As I had mentioned earlier, my job today was to use the lessons I learned when doing the pen and ink sketch.  I knew I had to get the perspective of the boathouse right, but since I knew what was wrong, I felt I had a good chance of correcting it.  The trees I had sort of slapped on last week had to go, and the new ideas from the ink sketch incorporated if I had the time (I didn't).  Here is the result of today's work:

 
The trees are still "ghosting", and the boathouse is still "floating in air" but those problems will be taken care in of as the painting continues. You will also see that I began putting in some more reflections which is actually rather silly because the water is by no means finished.  However, it gives me a sense of what I want to do (and what I shouldn't do).  The big rock on the left was pulled closer to the edge of the painting as Sharon pointed out there was too much empty space there. 
 
Frankly, if I were you, I'd look at this and think it all looks rather sickly so I hope you'll stick with me and watch to see what happens.  It will be interesting, I think, if it eventually matches my mental vision.  And you can always go back to the ink study to check on what I keep, delete, or just change.

2 comments:

  1. Not looking sickly to me. It's unfinished and this is fun to watch as the color and layers are added.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Somewhere in time, just not here. Haunting beauty.

    ReplyDelete