Thursday, November 15, 2012

Eureka Moment

Tonight ME and I went to Applique Club.  After we settled down to our various endeavors, I took out the piece I had taken with me to work on.  It's an applique block to put in my Farmer's Wife quilt, and it was the second time I had worked on this particular block.  The pattern is the traditional pineapple with a horseshoe-shaped wreath beneath the pineapple.  The first time I made it my pineapple was reproduction yellow, its leaves and wreath were green.  So very pedestrian!  I would have liked it better if the yellow and greens were prettier, but to my taste the colors I chose were too dark.  This time my background is red, the pineapple is light blue with squiggly red lines, its leaves are a similar blue with red polka dots, and the wreath will be a slightly lighter blue on blue.  Much more like something I would choose (well, I did, of course, but remember I also chose those dull greens and yellow).
 
As I worked on back-basting the crown of leaves, I thought about how I have struggled with this quilt from the very beginning.  It had started as a challenge to myself, and I have been happy with what I have learned and the experience I have gained by making the blocks from the Farmer's Wife book.  Then why am I still struggling to finish this quilt?  I have 135 blocks completed with only 9 to go so I should be working like crazy to get it done and on our bed.  As I stitched the answer became evident.
 
I don't like the applique blocks from the other book selected to provide them in order to add a new touch.  The patterns are too clunky for my taste.  What to do?  Yes, I could design my own, but I don't have the time or the inclination to put that kind of work into this project.  So up I got to roam the shop looking for a book that might have patterns that I would like.
 
There are so many books from which to choose!  One after another - too primitive, too elaborate, too large - no book of patterns was quite right.  Then ME suggested Lori Smith and Pat said Lori Smith.  "Lori Smith?" said I.  "But she only designs pieced quilts!"  Yes, I know better, but my brain had left the room for a minute.  Going to the wall of Lori Smith patterns, I found the perfect one and it makes a 6" x 6" block - hurray and hallelujah!  Birds, trees, and houses - if it had blocks with stars, I would have swooned so I guess it's just as well it doesn't.

Eureka!

2 comments:

  1. I really like all of those blocks -- and next year you'll finish up Farmer's Wife - put it on your bed - and be very proud of ALL the work and tiny piecing you've done!

    Congratulations for actually sticking with it. I was so disenchanted that I gave away everything, book and all - and I don't regret that one bit. Someone else can enjoy it!

    And now I'm off to Oneonta - FUN !! (and lots of time to think in the car)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how perfectly perfect! So you, so ready to play nice in your FWQ!! I can not wait to see your finished masterpiece. Mine of course is back in the closet- so much I want to finish without fussing over this one right now :-)
    Can't wait to see you and hear about all you've accomplished since while I've been gone!

    ReplyDelete