Thursday, November 1, 2012

Wool Tile


Disappointing but the wool tile is not yet finished and I wanted it as a gift for this weekend's visit to friends.  Fortunately, I don't really need it as I am providing dinner, but it would have been nice.  Here's what I have so far - pins and all: 
 
 
I was getting ready to stitch the two leaves on the left in place and was pulling the freezer paper off the "lobster claw" leaf when it came apart at the narrow point.  Although I was being careful, it must have been a weak area where the weave was loose.  You can't see it in the picture, but I'll have to re-cut that set of leaves.  The stems are pinned in place, but they do not extend over the leaves; they will end at the leaf's edge and start up again on the other side.  Since stitching sometimes pulls up the fabric, I wanted to be sure I had enough stem to actually meet the leaf at each edge so I cut them extra long.
 
 
In the above photo you can see how I stitched the skinny stems and veins of the big maple leaf.  It's the detached fly stitch, and I like the way it looks - except for the place where I angled the stitches to go up the veins.  It seemed like a good idea, but it isn't completely successful. 
 
What do you think?  Is it the angle?  Or doesn't it bother you?

1 comment:

  1. Actually, I think the stitching is wonderful. It gives the vein of the leaf some life!

    Enjoy the weekend!

    ReplyDelete