Monday, November 19, 2012

Quilt Progress

How I wish that we were sitting in comfortable chairs sipping our beverages of choice so you could actually answer this question; How are your home-made holiday gifts coming along?  Did you take on too many things to make?  Are you feeling comfortable that - possibly because of the extra time between Thanksgiving and the holidays - everything will be completed in time and will be done to the best of your abilities?  Did you, like me, make a solemn oath that you were not going to make anything, and, again like me, break that oath?  How do you feel about that?
 
Ah well, you aren't sipping hot mulled cider in a rocking chair in my family room, so I guess I'll just tell you how I am doing.  I had said I would not put myself through the craziness of trying to make things this year, but as you know, I didn't stick to that resolve.  I found myself planning to make five quilts and various and sundry small items.  Most of the small sundries will fall by the wayside except for a few special ones, and at least four of the five quilts will be ready for the holidays.  Number four was completed about 15 minutes ago when I sewed the label onto the backing (also just pieced today).  Quilt #5 won't make it in time; it isn't terribly difficult, but I have complicated it by adding my own design ideas to it.  Even if I manage to piece it by Christmas, I seriously doubt that it could be quilted by then.  Besides I have to bind the ones that are finished (but I am going to machine stitch the bindings - both front and back!).
 
Maybe next year I won't make anything.  Or maybe I'll start as ME does in the spring.
 
Nah, I'll be saying the same things next year!  What about you?

4 comments:

  1. Happy Holidays Noel! I'm just starting a few simple little holiday projects. Ha ha. Maybe next year won't be so crazy busy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, I generally get my ideas in motion sometime in January. I'm telling myself that next year is MY year for a quilt for my bed. But.......there are a lot of "little" things that I'd also like to do. We'll see what gets done. First I have to finish this year. Progress is being made - but everything isn't finished and I keep telling myself that it has to be done by Thanksgiving so I can relax and bake in December. Looks like that may not happen again this year. Good thing - Nikki will be here at least a week before Christmas and her baking skills are great. She'll keep Dennis in the chocolate chip cookies that she bakes! And, he can't eat a ton of them at a time - and I'm going to try not to eat any (ha, ha). We'll have to hide them from our very own Cookie Monster - Jerry.

    I'll have to tell you late on Christmas Eve whether I did it all or not. All depends on work and my ability to concentrate and not get tooooo distracted!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I shouldn't be reading things about time tables now that I have finally finished (not really) the chores for the day preparing for 19 for Thanksgiving. Reading how everyone has extended themselves beyond sanity only makes me hyper thinking of all that needs to be done before Christmas -- the baking, the letter writing to relatives in Germany, the Christmas shopping for nine grandchildren. I haven't really painted since I mounted my show the end of September. I, too, was trying to figure out how to make things simpler. Should I just give all my grandchildren money? But then there are the young ones. Money doesn't mean much. I fear I will get all caught up again in the holiday frenzy. At least we have an extra week this year to figure out what to do. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish we were in your room sewing and sipping my dear friend. Happiest Thanksgiving to you and David.
    :) M

    ReplyDelete