Thursday, November 8, 2012

Pen and Ink Study #2

Whew, yesterday I learned that I should sketch the scene for an intended painting before I begin painting it.  So today I did another pen and ink study of another landscape that I might someday turn into a painting.
 
AND of course, I learned another lesson.  This is pen and ink.  It is a study.  It is not intended to be a finished work that would merit framing and hanging on a wall.  Stop when the going is good (that's the lesson)!  Today's sketch was another of the photographs taken PDC (pre-digital cameras) of the road from the south end of the Vermont lake of which you have seen so much over the years.  It is a spectacular view of the shadowed road curving downhill, farm, lake, and mountain all in one fell swoop.
 
There's a BIG hint in that last sentence. I gave you the sequence of what you will see in the sketch from the bottom to the top. Don't be surprised if you have to work at it when you look at my sketch. I warn you now; it's over-worked:
 
 
On the positive side, I do think it would make a good painting!

2 comments:

  1. I think it has the possibility of being a very lovely painting -- but I gotta admit that I'm wondering why you think that the pen and ink isn't good enough for a frame??? It's beautiful - simple - and like a black and white photo, there's also room for that in the world of art!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Mary Ellen. Black and white can be beautiful I do admire your shadows leading into a sunlit field and that dramatic cliff. Our art classes always begin with drawing before we turn to the watercolors. I must admit I'm frequently impatient and don't do the added step of pre-planning.

    ReplyDelete