Monday, January 28, 2013

A Treasure of Family Photographs

Esther has been sending me such a wealth of photographs that I have been rendered speechless.  Well, almost.  First she sent me photos of two of her recent watercolors.  I neglected to ask for permission to show them to you, but I do wish you could see them.  I think I've mentioned that watercolors are something with which I am very uneasy and believe that I have no talent for them at all.  Esther on the other hand is quite gifted.
 
Then she sent me a re-mastering (I'm not sure if that is the term for taking an old movie and copying it or fixing it or making it viewable) of her wedding day.  Oh my, I do have hazy memories of that day, but since I don't think I ever saw any photographs of it, I had forgotten almost everything.  What a lovely bride she was and my brother so handsome.  And they are both so young!  Of course, they aren't that old now, but looking back at the two of them in their early twenties was quite a treat.  And Esther's sister (who was her attendant) looks as I always think of her as looking - tall, dark, and pretty.  How willowy they looked (and still do, rats!).
 
I do remember my brother Daniel as best man giving the toast although I don't remember how we got from the church to the reception.   I remember the dress I wore.  It was a gift from the bride and groom and was by far the prettiest dress I'd ever worn.  I don't remember the young girl who was me at that time.  It must have been me because she was wearing the dress I remember as mine, and her expression is familiar. 
 
Then to top it all off, I was able to view photographs from my brother Davis' recent birthday dinner.  The only two in this group of pictures from the family home movie were Davis and Esther, and if anything they are an even better looking couple now than they were then.  And still so happy!  They had several members of their family with them, and it must have been quite the occasion. 
 
All this is to remind myself how very important family history and photographs to go with it are.  Davis has worked wonders with the family genealogy started by our mother and has it on on-line.  Looking at it today, I enjoyed looking at all the photographs he has uploaded of family and lament the empty photo slots by ancestors for whom there are no photos and may never have been any.  Then I notice once again that there are no photographs by my name, or D's, or our daughter. 
 
Maybe I'd better learn how to upload some!

2 comments:

  1. Yup - time to upload photos! I hope to see the watercolor paintings and I'd love to see a photo of you as a young girl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Noel, when I first saw the movie of the wedding over 50 years ago, all I could think was what an embarrassment. Now watching it, I treasure it not only for seeing how magnificent everybody looked then, but for viewing those who are no longer with us. I'm glad you enjoyed the film and photos. Funny, I do not remember that we bought a dress for you. I'm glad you have found memories of it. What I remember about Dan's toast at the wedding, was that he could not stop laughing. It took him several attempts before he got through the toast. As far as the water colors go, of course you can share them. But I must say, having you talk them up is far better than exposing them to the light.

    ReplyDelete