Friday, January 11, 2013

Too Much

Have you ever scheduled things without looking carefully at your calendar?Oh, wait a second; I know to whom I'm writing so of course you do! If the day on the calendar is blank, you cheerfully write down whatever it is you need to schedule.  If you are like me, you do NOT look carefully at the days around the blank one.  You do NOT look to see if you've scheduled 15 three hour sessions with your personal trainer in a row (not happening on my calendar).  You just book another because, hey, the day is available.
 
Today is Friday and for most of the day I thought it was Monday (which is why I'm writing an entry on a day there's usually no entry).  Today was my third day this week at the same quilt shop, and I will be there on Sunday, too.  Who did this to me?  Little old me.  Two of the three classes/clubs I participat in are monthly occurrences (which don't always happen in the same week - figure that out!).  The third was a class I'd been closed out of at least twice so I wanted to grab it while I could.  Sunday is the once a month class I teach/facilitate. 
 
Monday I got all my materials ready for painting in the morning and CZQ in the afternoon.  That means that in both classes I neglected to pack something I could have used during the class.  Naturally I tried to create what I needed and was marginally successful.  Oh, and I forgot to pack a lunch.  But Tuesday I did accomplish quite a bit. 
 
All day last Wednesday (except for the running errands time) I prepared for Thursday's class.  Fortunately D was out of the house so he wasn't able to object that I spent at least eight hour preparing for a 4-hour class.  Okay, it wasn't the instructor's fault.  I actually prepared for the entire project instead of the tiny bit that would be the focus of the class.  Hey, you never know when you might be asked to get something out, and you wouldn't want to be embarrassed now, would you?  The class on Thursday was a success, and I was able to complete all the steps the instructor had planned for us to do.  Now I feel confident about continuing on my own without making avoidable mistakes - at least not all of them!
 
Thursday night I gathered my wool, found a new project to work on, did the requisite tracing of pattern, tracked down my collection of Valdani Perle cotton embroidery thread, and packed a bag.  I was too tired to cut out all the pieces of wool, but I was able to spend time doing that during class.  Since I'd had a good night's sleep, I didn't have to re-cut anything!
 
Tonight I started stamping fabric for my new hand-piecing project that I will need to have with me for Sunday's hand-piecing club.  It wouldn't do for the teacher to show up with no hand work to do!  Some time tomorrow, I hope to sew on the borders of the completed project so I can take it in to show, but maybe I'll let myself have a day off.
 
If I take a day off, does that mean I'll have an empty calendar day that has to be filled?

2 comments:

  1. I have a solution for the daqy you want to fill -- put vacation or day off!! Sounds like you got a LOT accomplished this week. As for me - working on the third block of hand piecing and will see you tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think all the quilting talk on your blog has had an impact on me. Now that I'm no longer in deep hibernation (have you noticed, the days are getting longer?), I wake up earlier and in the final hours of sleep, I dream. This morning I had a quilting dream. I was in a literature class at college, and the test assignment was to make a quilt. There were two blocks as examples. (I can't remember what the first block was, but I really got hung up on the second.) The block was of two simple tall buildings, side by side. "That's easy," I said to myself. But then I had to pick the fabrics, and I couldn't find ones that worked. When I awoke, I found myself continuing to puzzle out the fabrics. I know I wanted fabrics like the ones you selected for the wallets. Well, Dr. Freud, would you care to interpret that?

    ReplyDelete