Thursday, January 10, 2013

Crazy Quilt Block and Painting

Well, after some lack of ambition, I finally took some photographs.  And the first ones to show you are of the crazy quilt.  The inner portion of that quilt will be made up of blocks with photographs of women in my family who have passed on their knowledge (especially of sewing and embroidery) and love to me.  The block below is intended to be in one of the outer rows/areas of the whole; it's to be the "here's what you have given me" proof. 

 
The "whimsy" you see on the right hand side - the carrots and  radish (tomato?) - was a purchased item.  Although I can't remember when or why I bought it, I like it for its unexpected and homely appearance in a crazy quilt. 

This fireworks fabric is one I chose from which I had a bow tie made for D.  I have started embellishing it with french knots and fireworks.  More will be done with that.  At the left hand edge of this particular bit of fabric you can see the multicolored stitches joining it to the next piece of fabric.  The stitches are supposed to look like fireworks, too.

 
In my stash of odd things, I found a card wrapped with silver rick rack.  It must have come packaged in with something else I bought at some time for some project.  Until recently I never used rick rack.  I liked it all right, but didn't have the right use for it.  This seems to be the perfect place!  The orange Perle cotton (and pale yellow which you can hardly see on the rickrack) serves both to keep the edges secure but to bridge the exuberant orange peony above to the sedate silver silky material below.
 
That's all I managed to accomplish Tuesday, but I also decided what my major embroidered element will be on this block.  You'll have to wait to see it because it will take time!
 
And here's the Boat House painting.
 
 
This was worked on on Tuesday also (painting in the morning, CZQ in the afternoon).  As I think I said recently, this is close to being finished.  I have some minor work to do here and there and a more lengthy job to do to finish up the trees.   I am feeling happy about this painting now maybe happier than you might feel is warranted.  But you see, I know what I plan to do.  You have to take it at face value, and that's hard.
 
So that's what has been happening in these areas of my life.  What's happening in yours?


1 comment:

  1. The crazy quilt is going to be fabulous - and I absolutely love the painting. You are a true artist.

    For me, Lexy stopped by last night and she and Nikki decided the ring bearer's pillow will be the 8 inch one. 8 inches isn't that big so I think making a wreath of ribbon flowers is going to be relatively a quick project. And, of course, there's a couple wedding quilts - and I told myself I was going to use my food fabric for placemats. We'll see what gets done. Next, however, is the binding on Nikki's flannel quilt!

    ReplyDelete