Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Spinning Wheels

Ever since the Great Push to complete gifts in time for the holidays, I have been spinning my wheels.  At first I recognized it as the let down after a keeping a frenetic pace, and I allowed myself to sink into a mild lethargy.  However, it doesn't really seem to be lifting. 
 
Each day I manage to do something: a bit of housework, cooking, half an hour to an hour of crazy quilting, reading, a bit of wool work, very non-intense sewing (don't even ask how many pillowcases I've made!), painting, drawing.  Nothing seems to attract my attention or energy for very long.  Are you familiar with this malaise?
 
I have been thinking about it for the last few days, and I think I know one reason for this slow-motion mood.  My "sewing room" is a complete disaster.  Oh, I know, most of the time it may look disastrous to an "outsider", but I know where things are even if there are a few projects piled on top of each other.  I can navigate around the room, do what I need to do, and find what I'm looking for.  But now?  The piles seem to have exploded.  The floor is cluttered.  It's untidy and uncomfortable.  So who would want to spend time in there?  And who knows where to start?
 
I do.  So even though this is not the best time to do it, I'm going to begin getting that room (and maybe me, too) under control again.  One piece at a time.  One hour at a time.  One wheel at a time.
 
Then maybe those wheels will stop spinning!

1 comment:

  1. Noel, I had experienced a similar lethargy and funk about two weeks ago. What I found helped was just changing the routine. That's when we went to the Bruce Museum. It really helped. The following week our yoga instructor was mentioning that depression is not uncommon for this time of year. All those Christmas projects and activities no longer consume us. The days may be longer, but nothing outside looks green. It may not help to know that you are not alone, but good luck in finding your solution.

    ReplyDelete