Sunday, January 27, 2013

Weekends are for -

Don't you think that weekends are wonderful?  Even when retired they maintain some of the characteristics they had when we were working.  There's a sense of both relaxation and hurry.  Even at this stage the relaxed atmosphere is still there.  After all, very few appointments are scheduled for a Saturday or a Sunday!  The hurry is there, also, though.  For some reason I've kept traditional weekend chores on the weekend like the laundry.  If we have to go out to do grocery shopping (something we have always tried to keep to a week day), we feel that we have to get there early to avoid the crowds.  Certain things seem to need to be completed before the week begins.
 
For that reason, I feel good about completing an unfinished project this weekend.  I had taken Mardi's class on turning a photo cube into a charming sewing box complete with pincushion on top and pieced quilt blocks in the windows.  Okay, not everything is finished.  The blocks still need to be made, but they aren't even started yet.  Today I did finish the pincushion; it's supposed to sit on the top of a 4" cube.  Don't laugh!

 
It really is true that college graduates rarely read directions!  My pincushion is huge; it is a Pincushion on Steroids!  I decided that since I have made several pincushions, I'd simply make this one as I thought it would be made.  Did I listen to Mardi?  Probably with one ear and a fraction of a brain.  Did I read her directions?  Of course not!  Before the class was over, I knew I was in trouble.


Just to give you an idea of where I went wrong.  I added a second circular piece made using the same template as the one used for the top instead of the much smaller one designed for the bottom.  Merrily, I started stitching but very soon saw that instead of a pincushion, I had a chair cushion (well, almost).
 
Today, I completed it and feel that it's quite attractive.  It can be used in a variety of ways.  Use your imagination!


 
At least the button on the top is perfect!

2 comments:

  1. Where did you find that button for your pincushion? It's perfect!!! I love it. Is it going on top of the box?? Or are you going to make a smaller one?

    I also did laundry and an old project - pillowcases. Some are totally done - a few are pinned and ready for that last seam! Maybe tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. forget the steroids! What this is, is an amazingly beautiful endeavor, and I'm sorry I giggled at its size when I first saw it! Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!! And I too wondered where you found that oh too perfect button for the top of the pincushion. You are a treasure, my friend! Simply, a treasure....

    ReplyDelete