Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Painting and Crazy Quilting

Great day in my world; how was yours?  Were you able to do something that makes your heart sing?  Something that makes you relax?  I hope so because I was able to do two things that make me happy. 
 
First, it's Tuesday.  That means it's painting day at the studio,  and the painting went well.  Finally, the sun (just coming over the horizon in the painting) is gone.  If I had kept it, the shadows would have destroyed my composition, and the colors would have had to be changed.  Of course, I intensified the colors, anyway, but no one said creativity should be completely logical.  While the painting remains close to being finished there are still things that need to be done.  You'll see.
 
One valuable lesson learned today?  If you need a new palette, prepare it the night before class.  Otherwise you lose almost half an hour (tubes don't always open easily and one has to use pliers very cautiously so the tube isn't twisted or broken which results in loss of expensive paint and/or holes in tube leading to hardening of paint aka loss of expensive paint).  Once it's set up, the colors one intends to use have to be mixed.  Oops, didn't bring that color?  Too bad.  What else might work?  How about this?  Ugh, no.  That?  Well, in a pinch.  This one?  Okay . . .  It takes time.  I'll make sure to check my palette Monday nights from now on. 
 
The second great event of the day was the Crazy Quilt Club/Class.  It's been a very long time since I touched this project.  My eyesight and the holidays were my excuses, but there was also the reality that inertia had set in.  I would look at a block and think, "Hmm.  Don't know what to do.  Don't know where to start.  Better find something else to work on."  It's an easy way out.
 
Today I looked at the block, picked up my needle and thread, and began.  It was wonderful!  Not what I did, but the doing of it.  One of these days I'll follow my own advice and do some kind of hand-sewing every day.  It is such a restful, soothing occupation!
 
P.S.  Let me apologize for having no photographs to show you today. I simply forgot to take any. Check in tomorrow to see photos of today's activities.

1 comment:

  1. I don't know about painting - but I do know that sewing is restful and makes my soul feel human. So, yes, doing a little each day is very good. Wish there were photos -- but next time!

    ReplyDelete