Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Crazy Quilt Block 3 - Update

This is block 3 of the crazy quilt (aka CzQ) on which I'm working.  You may remember the photograph below from early January when I had just gone back to working on this project.
 
 
I've continued to work on it off and on, and below is a photograph of  where I am now.  I kept on thinking about the huge carrots in the purchased applique piece you see in the mid-right of the block, and in my mind I saw a cartoon panel in which a rabbit is reaching for those gorgeous, yummy, last-all-year carrots.  So I put a rabbit in the block.  Since it was a cartoon in my mind, I didn't want to embroider a life-like rabbit.  Instead I have a plaid rabbit done in wool and ultra suede (the red-brown is the ultra-suede and came from a dress belonging to my mother-in-law).  You can see he is reaching for those carrots-in-the-sky.
 
You can also see that he has been harvesting carrots if you look at the garden behind him and the basket at his feet full of the succulent vegetable.  Do you think it is his garden?  Or is he helping himself to the fruits of someone else's labor? 
 

 
In the photograph below in the upper left, you can see some twining vines with two bunches of grapes made with layered beads (the larger bunch is layered, the smaller is not) and two bunches of embroidered carrots.  There will be flowers and probably more carrots in this area eventually. 
 
 
And I will leave you with a close up the rabbit.


1 comment:

  1. You just have to know this is a great block! I'm loving the rabbit and his carrots, large and small. Keep up the great work. It was fun on Tuesday. I think I'm going to put mine on the back burner and start working on the one in my head. That one I have a clear idea of what I'm doing!

    ReplyDelete