Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Pussy Willow Tree

Tomorrow D and I will travel northwestward to visit my sister-in-law Ann.  In preparation, we went to the grocery store this morning to purchase items for the lunch that we plan to take with us.  Last time Ann provided the meal so it's our turn this time.  We planned on cold cuts for sandwiches and the wonderful spinach and fruit salad with poppyseed dressing that ME makes (so delicious!).  I thought I'd bake something but came across a glazed bundt cake that is half vanilla and half chocolate.  I couldn't resist.  So we added that to our cart with a half pint of raspberries and whipped cream to make the cake even prettier.  This lunch will be heavy on fruit, I know, but it's better than just being heavy!
 
Anyway, the reason I got into this conversation is to show you something else I saw at the grocery store and purchased:

 
It's a grafted "pussy willow tree"!  You know why I loved it instantly and why I photographed it on an old quilt, right?  Doesn't it instantly remind you of all those really lovely primitive patterns that include weeping willow trees?  This particular specimen didn't have the most open pussy willows, but we bought it for its shape and branches. 
 
When I saw it, I immediately went to find D to tell him I had found something he absolutely had to see.  At that time I didn't know this is a grafted tree, and it probably wouldn't have made any difference anyway.  All I could think was how much fun D would have making this a bonsai specimen.  Since it's grafted that makes it difficult (it's grafted near the top just below the branches so one can't make the trunk shorter and for a bonsai, it's rather tall), but he decided he could still work with it. 
 
It wasn't inexpensive at $25, but just think of the pillowcases I've been making lately!  They're $25 for a set.  Each of us has our own way of having fun and our products make us both happy so neither of us complains over what the other one spends. 
 
Oh, and one last note.  I did find and purchase from eBay what might be the pattern I was looking for yesterday.  I don't have the picture to show you, but I believe it will enable me to make a wall hanging for D.  We'll see; I'll let you know once the pattern gets here.  By the way, I do find myself dreaming about the Hoffman pattern I showed you yesterday.  Once it's published, I might have to add it to my collection; it all depends . . .
 

 

1 comment:

  1. That tree is wonderful! I just love the shape!! I'll just bet D does wonderful things with it. And, about that pattern, if you don't purchase it, I think I do know someone who will. Yes, she has absolutely no "no power," but I'm beating you keep her as a friend anyhow!

    ReplyDelete