Sunday, February 24, 2013

Grandson's Visit

Our grandson's visit was great fun!  At eight he is full of energy but willing and able to channel that energy.  We played Uno and chess, read stories, and played with toy soldiers (actually that was mostly D playing with grandson and soldiers while I looked on and tried to act as though I was both interested and knowledgeable).  We went on errands, to hobby shops (for more toy soldiers - !), to the movies ("Escape from Planet Earth" an only so-so animated), and to the Discovery Center in the Pine Bush (small but good for young ones - and older ones, too!  All too soon it was time to drive him halfway back to meet with his dad who then took him home.
 
Photos?  Well, only a few as I believe in being very careful what I put "out there".   Remember those toy soldiers?
 

Obviously, this tiny set is not new, but G'son is now old enough not to put them in his mouth (!), but I think here he was trying to take advantage of D and capture a desirable soldier.  D was not having any of that!

Then there was the cookie making.  Like me, G'son clearly believes that more is better!


 
Reluctantly, all these cookies went home with G'son.  What's not to like about M&M's and an abundance of sprinkles?

Finally, this one is our grandson engrossed in his IPad game (what did we ever do without these gadgets?) on the way to meet his dad at the end of the visit.  Among other things he now plays Hearts after watching and helping me play it on my Kindle Fire and Mahjong which D taught him this visit.  Grandson promptly won the first two games he played.  It amazes me the difference technology is making in the lives of the younger generation, and I do believe that some of those changes are for the better.  Do you remember what it was like in the automobile on long trips?  Despite games and books there were still too many tired and cranky kids (and adults!).  Now there are more options that really engage the younger travelers, and I'm all for that.

 
Until next time, G'son.  Thanks for spending some time with us and making our lives brighter!
 
 

1 comment:

  1. I'm so happy you had fun with grandson. He's very lucky to have you and D for grandparents. Now, let's see -- I should think next time you will invite me over to test the cookies! After all, if they don't taste good you wouldn't want him to suffer eating them and make his parents eat them, would you? I'll be happy to do it for them! (ha, ha)

    Oh, and I haven't a clue how to play chess or marhjong - so C is a good step or two ahead of me!

    See ya soon!

    ReplyDelete