Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Last Minute Sketch

For art class this morning, I took only my pen and ink supplies.  My thought was that since I also had Crazy Quilt Class in the afternoon, I didn't want to run the risk of carrying wet smears of oil paint on my clothing or hands and transferring those smears to fabric.  I wouldn't be happy, and I can't even imagine how I would feel if the transfer was made to a CzQ block belongig to someone else.  I shudder to think . . .

So I spent an hour working with the dip pen because I'm still not used to the feel of it as it moves across paper.  I worked on a sketch of gulls in flight (photo courtesy of Mardi), and it was spectacularly awful.  I learned that dip pens were intended for use on smooth paper (like vellum, perhaps? excuse me, "duh" moment here), and I was using my bumpy watercolor paper.  It was so awful I hid it in my folder so I wouldn't have to see it. 
 
Anyway, while hiding the dreadfulness, I found a photo that said, "Try me" in a chirpy voice.  So during the last 15 minutes of class time, I worked on a pen and ink sketch using my fountain pen, a new cartridge, and the watercolor paper.  Although certainly not finished, it has promise as a study for a finished work. 

 
I won't bother with what is wrong with this work because it really is a quick sketch.  The paper should not be horizontal for this particular scene, but when I started I didn't think I'd get around to adding the figure and all the vegetation.  I was more interested in the ramshackle barn, and ironically, I spent the least amount of time on it. 
 
Let me just say that I like it enough to work on another sketch of this subject soon.
 
Oh, I should also say that D recognized both the site and the person with no hints.  "Happy days are here again . . ."

1 comment:

  1. Since David recognized it, is that his dad at home? Inquiring minds, you know. And I really like it!

    ReplyDelete