Thursday, February 7, 2013

Day at the Movies

Today I went to see the movie "Quartet" which I know some of you have seen, and some of you have chosen not to - possibly after reading the reviews.  Most of those that I read did not give the movie many points.  According to them, the movie was improbable, highly predictable, slow, etc., and it was compared unfavorably to a stage version.
 
If one is looking for a real slam dunk of a movie that will win Oscars, I admit this is not the one to go see.  If, however, you are willing to be charmed, to have a pleasant afternoon, and to hear some fine music, this is for you.  Taking the criticisms one by one, here's why
  • Some of the plot elements are improbable.  And that's bad?  In the world in which we live, the happy improbable is a welcome diversion.
  • The events are very predictable.  That's true, but people can certainly be predictable so one could also say the movie is true to life.  A "cliche" becomes a cliche because of the kernel of truth within it.
  • It was slow in the beginning.  How many excellent books have we all read that started out slowly?  I can't remember how many times I began Girl with a Dragon Tattoo and put it down after more than a hundred pages.  Eventually, I determined to stick with it, I'm glad I did.   Since this movie was geared to the older generation, it doesn't seem to me this complaint has much weight.  We have the time and the experience to let "slow" develop. 
  • It isn't as good as the stage version.  I never saw that so it doesn't matter.  And who was it who said, "Comparisons are odious" or something like that?
  • This movie is pitched to boomers. So what? It's nice every once in a while to watch a movie that not only stars but is also about people even older than I!
Part of the problem may be that this entertaining film is just that.  Entertaining.  Funny.  Diverting.  Lovely.  It is a "feel good" movie for people like us, and so I say if you like to be entertained, do see it - just for fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment