Monday, December 15, 2014

Evolution of a Design in Progress - Entry #1

A little while ago, I started a new quilt.  Well, let's just say I started putting some pieces together using fabric that was originally going into something else, not my own design, that I decided I wasn't crazy about.  However, the intended wall hanging was designed by Dianne Hire whose class I took (and with whom I fell in love).  She's a great teacher for people who want to kick over the traces and have fun while doing it, and she's the one who taught me how to sew curves without fear.

Anyway, I loved the fabric from the scrapped project, and I love using curves so:


Here are some leaves I made in late November before my yearly Christmas panic struck: beech, ginkgo, and oak.  All right, but what was I to do with them?  Nothing is what I did; I just let them hang out on my design wall until it came to me.  Don't laugh too hard.  Trees.

I know, I know, it took me a couple of weeks to come up with that?  Well, yes, it did.  Sometimes what is obvious is perfectly right and sometimes it just isn't.  This time, it is right.  

The design has progressed (in my mind only - Christmas panic is in full bloom, after all) and has evolved - but more about that tomorrow.

1 comment: