Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Special Mittens

This may not have been the best of ideas, but these mittens and their name lured me into the knitting trap.  First, the name "Thrummed* Mittens".  That word seemed familiar, and it tickled the bag of my brain until I remembered.  I had purchased a second-hand book by J.M. Barrie (remember?  Peter PanCrock of Gold?) that I didn't get around to reading, and I think I may have put it in the library sale box.  Anyway, the name of the book was Window on Thrums.  Having been a student of 19th century English Lit, I know many and have a vague knowledge of more British vocabulary.  I thought the word "thrum" had something to do with weaving, looked it up, and found I was partially right.
Below is a picture of the start of my mittens.  Notice that every few rows, there is a stitch that is larger and sort of blobby looking?  That's the thrummed stitch.  Not too intriguing?

Look at the second picture.


Those are the thrums.  So who want to have a mitten full of soft pieces of wool?  People who want to have warm hands while outdoors in the winter; that's who.  When I looked at them in the shop, I thought how cold my hands get when we walk, when I take the compostery or garbage out, or when I start driving on cold winter mornings.  I've managed to make do with gloves covered with my sister-in-law's wonderful wool mittens, but . . .  

No reason to make my own.  These mittens are unique, and a challenge so I'm making them.  It's slow going; I wish I knew how to knit with the "Magic Loop", but I don't.  

There's another class I need to take!





*thrum2
noun
1.one of the ends of the warp threads in a loom, left unwoven andremaining attached to the loom when the web is cut off.
2.thrums, the row or fringe of such threads.
3.any short piece of waste thread or yarn; tuft, tassel, or fringe ofthreads, as at the edge of a piece of cloth.
4.Often, thrums. Nautical. short bits of rope yarn used for making mats.
verb (used with object), thrummed, thrumming.
5.Nautical. to insert short pieces of rope yarn through (canvas) and thusgive it a rough surface, as for wrapping about a part to prevent chafing.
6.to furnish or cover with thrums, ends of thread, or tufts.

2 comments:

  1. I really love the bright colors and I know these are going to keep your fingers very warm. And, if the rest of our winters are like this one, you'll get lots of use out of them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your blog as I always learn something new. I am rereading Thomas Hardy's Tess of the D'urbervilles. You know how Hardy writes like a painter: full description of colors and so many details of the location? Well, years ago when he spoke of those ancient coppiced oaks I thought dark and foreboding woods with gigantic trees. But I now know what a coppice is (see entry of June 12, 2014), and that illusion is shattered. Those ancient forests don't feel the same to me, alas. But I'm wiser!

    ReplyDelete