Sunday, August 2, 2015

Successful Weekend

What a lovely weekend it was.  The weather was really perfect, and we spent the time celebrating a major birthday of a friend.  He had decided to orchestrate his own party (a wise move if one can pull it off and he did), and it was perfect.  The best part was seeing him surrounded by his children, his grandchildren, and his friends.  It meant a house full of laughter and talk and more laughter, and running through and around it all was the sound of children running, playing, chattering, and screeching with glee.  Now that was a birthday!

While we were at his home, I took quite a few photos that I hope will help me with the oil painting I have underway.


In all of these pictures, I was looking at how the setting sun lit the tree tops.



And the atmospheric perspective (simply put - the way atmosphere changes the colors and outlines of distant features) in this one is easy to see.


 Sometimes, no matter how thorough you think you are, you don't get all the reference photos you need the first time.  Now with these additional pictures showing summer hillsides in late afternoon, it will be easier to paint the scene I'm working on.

A very successful weekend, indeed!




3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a truly wonderful time. And, of course, the photos are great !! Almost looks like fall with those yellow looking leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I see these photographs, I think I must try my hand at oils. Is it really possible to capture these colors in watercolor? I guess it would be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I see these photographs, I think I must try my hand at oils. Is it really possible to capture these colors in watercolor? I guess it would be worth a try.

    ReplyDelete