Friday, October 7, 2011

More on "Food for Thought"

When I wrote the first entry on the Fenimore Museum's "Food for Thought", there was more I wanted to say, but that entry was getting long.  Today I want to conclude with one more thing that Jacqueline Atkins said that is very important to me.

She was talking about one of the categories of quilts, one which I briefly mentioned in yesterday's blog.  The category is Community, and I gave Autograph quilts as one of her examples.  She was talking about how we make quilts to say "Good-bye. Please remember me."  We make prayer quilts, charity quilts, wedding quilts, baby quilts.  There are "Welcome to our neighborhood" quilts, quilts to raise awareness, quilts for soldiers, quilts to lift the spirits, and more.  The sense of community it in the group who work on the quilt and in the quilt itself. 

Interestingly enough, Jacqueline Atkins began her discussion with the notion of quilters-as-community, and she said "I've never met a quilter I didn't like."  While that is a lovely sentiment, we are all people and respond to each other like any other group of people.  However, as with any group, if one determines to look for  positive attributes in those one meets, the likelihood of meeting a kindred soul is more likely than if one looks for the negative.  That's only common sense. 

However, she also meant that if you are suddenly plunked down on a bench in a completely foreign place, Manitoba or Kyoto, for example, you can take out a quilt block to work on or even just to look at.  In a very short time, one or more people will stop and some kind of conversation will begin.  If you don't speak the same language, a means of communicating will be found.  Think about the times you have gone by yourself to a new guild or a quilt retreat or quilt class.  You probably came home with the name of  at least one person you'd be happy to see again. 

That happened to me at yesterday's program.  As I told you, I went with a friend. We were among the last to find seats for lunch and weren't able to sit together.  The ladies on my right and left were chatting so I leaned forward and asked the lady across from me if she were a quilter.  That started a conversation with her and with her friend.  Next I turned to the lady on my right and repeated the question.  For a short time, I was talking with her and the two ladies on the other side of the table.  Once in line for the buffet, I started talking to the lady behind me and that continued until we took our lunch back to the table.  During the meal, it was harder to converse, but I did manage to chat with the lady to my left and that drew in her friend seated across from her. 

Let's see, I'm up to  six interesting women already.  I learned about the quilt show in Cooperstown and a bit about their guild.  We discussed this weekend's show at the Major's Inn in Gilbertsville.  The Oneonta Guild was the topic of another conversation.  I even ventured information about the McCall's Contest and what it has done for me.  By the end of lunch, I had exchanged e-mail and snail mail addresses and even the address of this blog!  Today, I received the nicest e-mail from one of those women.  She was most complimentary about what she had seen of my work on this blog and talked about how much she enjoyed yesterday.  She wished me well.

For all I know, my style of quilt might be anathema to her, but it didn't matter to her.  We belong to the same community.  And even though we may never have met, if you are reading this blog, you belong to that community, too.   

No comments:

Post a Comment