Friday, October 28, 2011

October Snow


In may seem strange, but I have a certain fondness for October snow (as long as it doesn't last or inconvenience anyone).  When I was doing my student teaching, we had a bad October snow that closed school, downed power lines, shut down major highways, and generally wreaked havoc in this area. 

Once I had finished lesson plans and homework for the coming week, I could relax.  It meant that for three days, I was home with my family.   We played games, read by the light of flashlights, cooked soup and heated water on our wood burning stove, and went for walks to admire the beauty of the snow when we could.  I was able to sleep at night for eight hours without school work or thoughts intruding. 

That time together was very precious.  If you know anyone who has student taught or if you are a teacher, you know what it is like.  The job is all consuming and is in your mind every waking minute.  To be given a chance to let that school section of your thoughts sit quietly in a closed room in your mind so you can give you 100% attention to your family is rare. 

So, yes, I do have a fondness for the beauty of an October snow.  In my experience, it doesn't last. 

No comments:

Post a Comment