Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Roses and a Visitor

Now isn't that a feast for the eyes!  These are my last roses (picked yesterday) and my autumn sedum.  It was such a treat to be able to wander out to the garden without thinking that I should be at the sewing machine.  These colors were such a happy mix that I thought I'd really compound the fun by placing the vase on a rose-themed antique hooked wool runner.  I love having little vignettes like this around my house; they make me smile.

But the biggest surprise and pleasure came as I was washing lettuce leaves for lunch.  From my kitchen sink I can see our back yard and there lying on our lawn was an animal blissfully scratching its ear.  It was tawny in color and of moderate size. 

"What's in our back yard?" I asked David.  Since he was sitting at the kitchen table with his back to the window which was giving me my view, he didn't know what I was talking about.  "Is it a fawn?  No, I know.  It must be our neighbors dog."

At that very moment, the animal stood up and trotted lazily behind our fence.  After bemoaning the loss of wildlife and the paucity of bird varieties in our region of New York, that animal came to show me there are still some wild creatures near by.  Of course, I didn't have my camera so I can't show you a photo.    But it was a thrill.

Mr. Reynard came to call.  It was a red fox!

No comments:

Post a Comment