Friday, February 17, 2012

Canyon Caves - Final!

Our computer is still working so I will post a quick entry.  The second canyon painting is finished or at least, I am finished with the painting Canyon Caves.  It remains to be seen what I think in a month or two, but now I know enough to stop.  It's very easy to over work a painting or drawing or any creative piece.

Canyon Caves:


Wow, that's really large, isn't it?  I wanted you to be able to see it a little better, not scare you!  The changes/additions are subtle, and unless you go back to an earlier version, you might think, "Well, I don't see any difference at all."  I worked on the vegetation in front of the major cave by adding some highlights, and I thinned the tree on the right.

Am I fully satisfied?  No, as I am looking at the photograph on this page, I see areas that I should think about - maybe to keep in mind for the third painting in the series.  For example, my highlights in the different clumps of vegetation are too similar (the same is true of the tree).  The tree itself is only moderately successful even though it's better than it was before.  Even a small tree like this one would have a better "skeleton".  I know trees better than this.

Ah well, it's time to move on to the next painting.

I've been working on my crazy quilt block, and I'll write about that for next week.  Was that a sigh of relief I heard and a whispered, "Whew, at least she's going to stop nattering on about paintings!"

3 comments:

  1. I've been comparing this painting with your Sunday painting. I favor the unfinished Sunday painting with its simplicity and luminous wall. The colors totally pop and the foreground cliff top accentuates that brilliance of the wall behind it. I know you say it's unfinished, but from my perspective it looks done. Once again I know not seeing the paintings on the canvas, my assessment is at a disadvantage. And besides, what do I really know. Does this muddle your thinking? If so, I'm sorry. Keep on painting. I look forward to the next.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I had the same feeling about the Sunday painting because I love the way this one turned out. Maybe I should contemplate leaving this as it is and possibly going back to my original idea when the spirit moves me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment about not sharing works in progress are justified. You put yourself out there for all sorts of unsolicited comments and I hide my work most of the time. I do not think of them as works in progress but another sign of a failed effort. Vanity, vanity...all is but vanity.

      Delete