Monday, February 27, 2012

Inspiration All Around Us

Since I promised to have a photograph in this entry to enliven the tedium and since we have not yet uploaded everything from the old computer to this one, I scrolled through the photos that did make it to this new machine and found inspiration in some older pictures.
We all know that flowers are a great source for creative thinking. And here is one I found very intriguing when I took the picture, and still do today.  Isn't this a glorious swirl of  . . . well, I don't really know what.  What I can tell you is that it is a clematis vine, and this is, I think, the seed pod visible only after  the flower died and its petals fell.  The photo was taken in early September in the garden of a friend, and none of the clematis plants I've had (but I don't have very good luck with them) ever had something so inspiring after the blooming season was over.   I'm wondering; could I turn this into an interesting embroidery design for my crazy quilt?

I do hope some one of you can explain what this plant formation is.  Any ideas?  And then, if you can answer that, possibly you can tell me why my clematis never seem to thrive, and yes, I do know they need their roots in the shade.  We have very sandy and acidic soil.  Is that it?

Anyway, at the same friends' home I found this lovely collection of colors, shapes, and textures.  Inspiration is flowing from this photo.  Imagine painting the leaves of the sweet potato vine (and see how it has snuck around behind the flower pot in an embrace?).  The petunias at the bottom of the photo would make wonderful applique shapes and/or ribbon embroidery.   Don't overlook the white Alyssum in the bottom right, either.  But you know where I find the most inspiration?  Yes, you noticed it, too, didn't you.  The cast iron planter!  Think of all the places and all the different media in which you could use those curves on the sides and the hand-holding figures with jump ropes  (well, how would you describe that line of interlocking shapes?) on the shelf itself.

Finally, my last photo for today's inspiration, is a riotous burst of unadulterated color. I don't think I even need to write a word about what I like.  Take a minute from your busy day, and look at this picture carefully.  Try not to miss anything.  What do you like best?  How would you use the inspiration you find here? In your own garden?  In a corner of a special room in your home? Needlepoint?  Pottery?  Flower-pounding (now there's an idea!)?  Poetry?


Today have fun looking for the inspiration that moves your muse!

1 comment:

  1. Yesterday Dave and I worked in the garden -- not really what I wanted to do. But there was chickweed growing all over (some already flowering) and the rabbits? found my growing tulips already. Time to switch into defensive mode. Got out the hated chicken wire to enclose my tulips and any hostas that I could find that would surely be eaten before we get back from California. No winter means spring has come too soon. I already thought about just abandoning the garden. Then to see your lovely blog with the magnificent photos -- the rewards for perseverance. So today I called my landscaper to do the weed control, fertilizing, seeding of my lawn. And I'll calm down and take one day at a time.

    ReplyDelete