Thursday, February 2, 2012

Update on Painting

Sunday, if you remember, I had time to do some painting.  That is, until I ran out of paint.  So for fun and giggles, I thought I would begin this painting's journey from that point.
I will take pity on you and tell you it is the final Canyon De Chelley painting in this series - for how would you know if I didn't tell you?  As you can tell, the canvas is larger and the orientation of the subject is different (horizontal as opposed to vertical) than the first two paintings which I think of as companion pieces to this one.  I ran out of ultramarine blue which is what I use for the deepest shadows on the canyon wall (on the left side) and white which I need for the brighter orange canyon walls.  Those were the paints I bought Tuesday morning before class.  Because I am now using a palatte knife almost exclusively, I like to lay out my colors and add details later after the base has had at least a week to dry,  As it stands now, the next step is to finish the rest of the base layer.

Now then, here is the second in the series that I worked on during class on Tuesday. 

This one is Canyon Caves, and I'm not thrilled with a few things I did this week so expect to see changes.  I love the fact that the rock layers are visible, and that I was able to begin to put in the green plants just beginning to put in their appearance on very wet paint at the base of the painting.  Remember there were no plants visible in Canyon Path - the first canyon painting - so this is gives a different feel to the views of this particular canyon.  I am not pleased that I have made the upper caves so very prominent.  As they are quite distant, they have to be toned down.  Also, the line delineating the foremost canyon wall is too heavy, too linear, and doesn't have a clearly darker rock face on the wall behind it.  Fortunately with oils, these problems can be addressed. 

So there you have an update on my paintings.  I do hope you aren't tired of my fascination with Canyon De Chelley!

No comments:

Post a Comment