Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Winter on Leap Year Day!

Yesterday while I was trying to find out why, when I click on my blog under "favorites", I am not directed to the current day, I did make it easier for anyone to make a comment on the blog.  Or at least I think I did.  So I hope some of you will try to leave a comment on today's blog so we can see if it works.  If you do respond, please tell me if you now have trouble getting to the newest entry.  Or, if you know how I can fix my problem, let me know!

Don't worry, the photo on the right was taken of the back yard bird feeders (the blue glass ball is the top of a garden ornament that is 24 - 30" tall) last year late in an afternoon not this!  I chose this one today to keep snowfall in perspective.  Can you believe I was actually getting all grumbly about the possibility of snow today?  Think about it.  We've had almost no snow at all this winter; schools still have plenty of snow days.  It's the last day of February so why should I be either surprised or annoyed about snow? 

It's also Leap Year.  I wonder if the snow and Leap Year occurring together will be found to have some mystical meaning?  How much do you want to bet that we receive a flurry of e-mails regarding these two events?

I also made myself happier when I thought of the benefits of snow.  Think of the water.  Even after all the rain we had last fall because of the hurricanes, we need more water.  Certainly our gardens need both the moisture and the ground cover even though it may be too late for some plants.  All the plants that are sending up shoots and showing some pretty signs of life far too early may be shocked; I hope they are hardy enough and the snow is in time to prevent any lasting damage to those early risers.

Our park bench almost buried in last year's snow.


Dress warmly and be careful today so you can enjoy the beauty of nature and Leap Year. 

2 comments:

  1. Gee, I'm confused. My first response went as an email. Now I find I can comment directly. I'll try again another day to see whether I can figure out your new format. As far as being careful today, your admonition was right on target, but not heeded by me. It has not been a very good leap year day. In putting back all the china I had so carefully packed in boxes to make way for the painters, I let slip out of my hands a box full of platters--some most treasured. Two platters from mother (Royal Worcester and Wedgewood), two crystal wedding gift platters, a vase from Timothy when in college, a platter from my parents from our first china set) broken beyond repair. Only one platter remained in tact--a corning 40th anniversary gift. I'm devastated--particularly at the lost of the Wedgewood, my favorite. I remember when in Charleston a jewelry maker who made pieces from broken porcelain. I wonder if I can locate her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ester - I'm happy to learn that you have at least one platter. I lost my wedding ring a few months ago. After not having been able to wear it for 30 plus years, I had lost almost enough weight to wear it. I put it on my little finger and it slipped off. I didn't go that far - but it just hasn't been seen since. I really hate losing it. And I'm hoping it's hiding in some spot in my home that I'll uncover soon. It's either there or sucked out of Noel Liuzzi's car - or around my driveway.

    ReplyDelete